Getting Positive Projects Results — Tips from Community Activists

Getting Positive Projects Results — Tips from Community Activists

  • In seeking help and support for your project, cast your net widely around the neighborhood and your community of friends and affiliates… you never know where the diversity of talent will come from to complete your project.
  • Don’t be bashful about inviting, and actually asking, others to assist. Enlisting help is often the best way to “find” volunteers.
  • Keep the neighborhood and local community informed about your plans from the beginning. People have less tendency to get polarized around issues if they have prior notice, and feel that you’re taking their concerns, hopes, and fears seriously.
  • Research to learn about others who may already be working on similar projects in your area. Is part or all of your project in their plans? Think about territoriality– yours and theirs. Meet with them to share about pitfalls and successes, etc. and to find out where you can help or partner.
  • Most conflicts are between “good” causes. Be prepared to incorporate others’ goals, broaden your ideas and purpose, compromise, and pick your way through more regulations and requirements than you dreamed.
  • Always be respectful to government officials or staff. They’ll be grateful, as they’re often the recipients of much criticism and hostility. And since most of us are truly doing our best… thank everyone for everything along the way.
  • Prioritize both the projects you take on, and the steps you take, based on what’s most broadly supported, most needed, and by taking into consideration what the group is willing to do at the moment.
  • A “perfect plan” and “just getting it done” are two opposite poles. A “good plan” today, is often better than a “perfect plan” tomorrow.
  • Be prepared for lots of process. To paraphrase Woody Allen, nine-tenths of success is just showing up at the meetings. And sometimes… the one who attends the most meetings wins.
  • Just get started. Accomplish something small that demonstrates you’re on the way. With each small step you take, your committed action attracts support.
  • Have two projects– one long-term and uncertain, the other short-term and likely to succeed. Success builds on success.
  • When a project will take years to realize… re-focalize energy and demonstrate your project’s momentum by having visible milestones planned en-route. For example: plant something, install something, and have regular newsletter or web updates.
  • Projects move much more easily as you develop a broad network of alliances, contacts, partners, and a track record. A good way to do this is by helping others with related efforts.
  • Expect things to take much more time and effort than you expect to expect.
  • Be realistic about the future. Ask yourself: What is success? When you move on, what will be needed to keep it going? How will the project be maintained?

.

2011/10/10 Northside Garden Meeting Notes

Notes presented by Flavia
Northside Garden Meeting Notes
October 1, 2011
We met for our final garden meeting of the year at noon. 
In attendance were: Alan, Flavia, Dan, Laura, William, Barbara, Leslie, DeAnna, Ardis, Nina, Phyllis, Esther, Michelle, Elizabeth, Michael, Larry, and Robin.
Lots of beautiful garden herbs were harvested and shared, and thanks for the great potluck dishes and snacks that were contributed and enjoyed by all.
There is $ 1,266. in the treasury.
There was a reminder for all gardeners to remember to weed 18in around their plots, and that such weeding does not count toward community work hours.

Meeting with Brad Ricards:

* We need to vote as a community on certain issues and rules
* Gardeners are encouraged to store their own garden implements at home when not in use in the garden
* All plastic pots must be planted, so as not to be visible. If not planted, they must be removed from the garden (including individual plots)
* It is a City requirement that all gardeners keep their plots well managed with weed removal
* It is a City requirement that all plots are to be planted year round, and must be approximately 75% planted per season 
* Majority of plants must be edible plants; some flowers and non edibles are okay, but the majority ought to be edible plants
* Garden coordinator(s) ought to check 3-4 times per growing season to determine whether all plots are 75% planted
* Brad Ricards expressed a lot of concern over the safety of the cob shed in its present condition; strongly advised against any further use of it prior to repair
* No City funds are available for cob shed repair

Cob Shed:

* Leaks must be repaired; there is one along the wall where sign up sheets are kept and the sheets have repeatedly been rained on 
* Elizabeth spoke with John Fordice (architect); he gave some advice about how to repair the shed, although said it is quite complicated
* Larry went to the Urban Farmer; determined it is best to patch the leaks with soil/bird netting/plants, rather than replace roof
* Repairs to cob shed need to be done during the dry season, well before the heavy rain begins
* We need to purchase plastic sheeting; perhaps tarp over the winter to protect against further damage, and repair in the spring
* Should we hire a hauler to remove the soil and leave it on the ground, tarped over the winter 
* Should we get an estimate to demolition the sides of the shed 
* Should we consult with a cob shed expert 
* No vote taken on above questions; perhaps these are to be decided by steering committee?
* Some gardeners may get together to remove about half of the soil on the roof prior to heavy rain, although this must be done in the next week or two, by month’s end
* There are natural building classes – regenerative design class at Merritt College; Elizabeth will contact them to see if we can team with one of their classes to repair the shed; this is likely to be free cost to the garden. Elizabeth will also ask her professor at Merritt to come to the garden to do an evaluation of the shed. All garden members can be present at this evaluation. 
* It was strongly suggested – and the garden member consensus – that we keep the city out of the discussion of the cob shed; keeping them in the loop could mean we lose the shed altogether, which we do not want
* There was a request for fewer group emails – please don’t hit reply all for all garden emails unless the information in the email or the response concerns everyone.

Apple Tree:
The apple tree cannot be planted anywhere in the garden. We will move it to the sidewalk patch sometime in winter, perhaps January

Esther’s Plot:
Voted to leave Esther’s plot intact where it is for now, and not move until next year

Garden rats:
The majority voted in favor of the purchase of an owl house to keep the rat population down; there was some concern by some members of the safety of the neighborhood/garden squirrels and cats

~Notes compiled and typed by Flavia

2011/06/25 Northside Garden Meeting Notes

Notes presented by Flavia
Present were Flavia, Ardis, Phyllis, Barbara, DeAnna, Michael, Elizabeth, Shawn, Robin, Deborah, Larry, Dan, Laura, Nina, Leslie, Margaret, Sonya, and Michelle. We had a light agenda, and a lot of good input was shared and discussed! 

Meeting agenda:

1. Shady garden plots, submitted by Laura 
2. Update on the city oak tree pruning, submitted by Ardis and Robin
3. Rat in compost; rats around gardens, submitted by Michelle
4. Broken concrete, bricks, assorted broken pieces of wood and various other debris around garden, submitted by Robin and Elizabeth
5. Update on progress of proposed flower garden, submitted by Robin
6. Ideas of where to transplant roses that are presently in planters in front of cob shed, submitted by Nina
7. Planting and upkeep of the small street garden space, submitted by Elizabeth

Laura began discussion of shady plots in the garden. Suggestion of dedicating one plot as “shade plot” for gardeners who wish to plant shade-tolerant plants. Garden members noted that garden members often change plots, and have different planting needs that change with the seasons and from year to year, so that people are able to move to a sunnier plot fairly easily; there is no way to have all the plots be equal in terms of sun, shade, or size. (Nina, Shawn, and Elizabeth contributed to this discussion)

Leslie asked Sonya about update on city oak tree trimming.
The oak tree is now is serious need of major trimming, as it causes a lot of shade to Ardis’ and Sonya’s plots, and too much shade to Dan and Laura’s plot as well.
Sonya’s husband knows the manager, so she will have her husband ask the manager to set a date for trimming of the oak tree. 
Ardis had received a phone call back from the city of Berkeley, and was told that they would come within three weeks, but we need to remind them, or request the trimming again, as in the past they have come very late. 
Leslie raised question of the legality of our hiring someone to do the trimming, or of doing it ourselves. We also need to obtain tree trimming estimates; Nina volunteered to obtain the estimates; Leslie can recommend her tree pruner. 
It was agreed that we would wait to hear back from the city of Berkeley by the first or second week of July, before making a decision about hiring someone.
A vote was taken on whether to use the garden funds to hire a tree trimmer if the city of Berkeley does not come through. Majority voted in favor of using garden funds for this purpose. (Sonya, Michael, Nina, Laura contributed to this discussion)

Leslie began discussion about using the space near the pumpkin patch, closest to chain link fence, for growing tomatoes.
Is there room there for tomato plants? Should this be decided for next spring/summer?
It was suggested that priority could be given to those gardeners with shady plants; or that all gardeners could grow tomatoes, with a limit of two plants per person.
A vote was taken with the majority in favor of using that area next spring and summer for growing communal tomato plants. All those gardeners interested in growing tomatoes should let the Steering Committee know by April or May of next year. (Leslie, Michael, Elizabeth, Nina contributed to this discussion)

Rats in garden and compost:
Elizabeth asked nurses she had met at a Peralta garden event about possible diseases spread by rats in the garden; they said there is no serious danger of disease from the rats seen in the garden, and that there is no way to keep them completely out of the gardens.
What rats are exposed to determines what they spread; these are not sewer rats, but roof rats. Those gardeners who are concerned about spread of disease would like to be sure however, that we do everything possible to discourage rats in the garden. It will be necessary for all Northside gardeners to continue to be very careful about what we put in the compost bins:

NO cooked foods, egg shells, meat or meat bones, bread, baked goods, or dairy products!

It is also important for us to keep the compost damp, and anyone who wants to add water to compost from time should do it; it is already being turned regularly. (Shawn, Leslie, Laura, and Dan contributed to this discussion)

Concrete, bricks, broken pieces of wood and debris in garden:
At the work party just prior to meeting, all the concrete, bricks, wood, and other assorted debris around garden was gathered up and placed in front of the garden fence on sidewalk, for free pickup.
Phyllis will be posting notices to craigslist and freecycle for people to pick up. 
Elizabeth got an estimate on the cost of a hauler for this pickup, should we be left with some or all of this debris; estimate was around $350.
It was the consensus that we would like it to be picked up as soon as possible, as it is a trip hazard, as well as being unsightly to the neighbors.
Shawn suggested we wait two weeks (until July 11) and then call a hauler for pickup. All agreed. 
A vote was taken on whether we should have a limit of $250 to pay for the hauler – vote in favor.
(*As of 7/3, there is still some of this out in front on Northside Garden, so we may need to relist one of the postings.)

Robin opened discussion of a flower garden in the cactus/Yucca tree area to the right of the cob shed, near the Yucca tree. Suggestion was made that the Yucca tree be removed. At the last garden meeting a vote was in favor of removing this tree.
The tree has very strong, very deep roots, and could be difficult to remove.
Questions now raised: Do we still want this tree removed? Do we need to hire someone to remove it?
It was also suggested we plant fruit trees in this area.
Are we allowed to plant permanent trees in the garden? Peralta garden has some permanent trees. Several garden members agreed that more research needs to be done about this, and about Yucca tree removal.
It is a good drought resistant plant, and we generally want to keep such plants, and California native plants, in the garden near the cob shed
Consensus was that we cannot move ahead with plans to plant any permanent trees until we know whether we have the go ahead to do so by the city. 
A vote was taken on whether or not to plant native plants in the cactus garden/Yucca tree area – majority voted in favor of doing so. (Shawn and Ardis contributed to this discussion.)

Transplanting roses to the area against the chain link fence, behind the pumpkin patch, just to the right of the third compost bin:

Nina volunteered to handle all the transplanting of the roses, if gardeners are in favor of having this done. The roses will not require any extra watering this summer into fall, since the pumpkin patch will be watered regularly. Only three or four roses were suggested for the transplanting; one of which is a climbing rose. 
Vote was taken; majority in favor of the transplanting of three roses to this area. Nina will begin this next week (or first week of July)
Margaret raised her concern about shade from these roses to her plot. Michael and Elizabeth said that Elizabeth’s plot – to the immediate right of Margaret’s – gets lots of shade from the next door neighbor’s house, and from the plants that have grown on the fence, yet Elizabeth has not found shade to be a problem to her plants, many of which need lots of sun.
Question raised: Who will be keeping the roses cut back? 
Nina emphasized that the roses could be contained since roses are cut back in November; shade from the roses will then not be a problem. Also they will be planted at least a few feet to the left of Margaret’s plot, and kept regularly pruned to keep them from growing further to the right. (Margaret and Michelle contributed to this discussion)

Sidewalk garden:
There is a small sidewalk garden at the curve of the sidewalk, behind the cob shed. Elizabeth has been maintaining this small patch of garden in the past. It is currently in need of some “refreshing”. Suggestion of planting California Sage, which is a native plant, drought resistant, and a good choice for this oft neglected little garden area. Quick vote was taken as to whether Elizabeth could go ahead and plant the California Sage; majority in favor.

Larry asked about a straw bale. It could be kept by the BART fence. All agreed that would be a good area for it.

Elizabeth and Robin have been discussing the idea of a garden/neighborhood barbecue. A Weber grill has been donated to the Northside garden, which will be stored in the cob shed, to the left, near the shelves. All gardeners are welcome to use it. 
A potluck garden barbecue will be planned for sometime in August, date/time TBA.

Thanks to all for your contributions and hard work in the garden. Happy gardening!

~Flavia

2011/03/05 Northside Garden Meeting Notes

In attendance were Michelle, Laura, Dan, Larry, Khin, Phyllis, Deborah, Michael, Elizabeth, Barbara, Carla, Matt, Roz, Alan, Margaret, Abbot, DeAnna, Nina, Ardis, Flavia, Leslie, and William.

Notes:

There was first a quick review of mandatory garden hosting and work hours; sheets for logging work and hosting hours would be available and posted on the board in the cob shed, as well as online with Google calendar.
All active garden members must sign up for 2 hours each month to host the open garden. There is no regular 5th Sunday hosting coverage. 
All active members must also fulfill 8 hours of garden work for the year. 
The garden hosting begins in April 2011.

Elizabeth:
The City of Berkeley requires that we measure our plots and the paths of the garden. Elizabeth took a view with Google Earth overlay; actual dimensions of each plot.
We may move to redoing m plan (? Sorry, couldn’t make this out from notes.)
We need to look at areas to be changed and redraw up map for that.
The city suggested eliminating the plot closest to the shed, and moving the compost all to one area. * I was not present for this – is that my plot? fb The city also suggested we put concrete on the paths, however it was the member consensus to not do that.

Roz: 
the original trash and green bin area may be better suited for our meetings; there would be less sun, more shade. There was some discussion of this in past meetings; no decision made on that change yet.
Robin, Ardis, Michelle, Shawn, Leslie, Dan, Barbara, and Friends of Westbrae Commons want to have a say. There needs to be discussion from a 3 garden perspective (Linn, Peralta and Northside), since some may have more access through the gate in this area than others.  Not likely to be a big time commitment – should be discussed on the Path Committee. Michael, Dan, Ardis, Michelle, Robin, and Elizabeth (sorry, that’s the best I could make out from the notes!)

Elizabeth:
Was contacted by the eVe restaurant in Berkeley. They do a once a month Sunday fixed price dinner, and are inviting area community gardens to supply them with fresh, organic produce from their gardens, in exchange for payment.
Participation and commitment entail supplying them with 18 lbs of fresh garden produce (of any kind) once a month, in exchange for $300. 
Garden members were largely unenthusiastic about participation; concern was our ability to supply such a volume of produce, being that we are a small garden, especially in the cooler months and over winter. 
Gardeners have the option of donating individually, however it would be difficult to commit to monthly donations.
Consensus was to ask Peralta garden about their possible participation, and how we might be able to supply such a volume if we worked contributed with them. 

Michelle: 
General garden information for the year will continue to be sent by group email, but will also be posted in the cob shed for those who do not have easy internet access, or who simply prefer the information on paper. 

Leslie:
Will keep the updated information in a binder in the cob shed, to your left as you enter shed. Leslie will also notify all members who were not in attendance at today’s meeting that they can find information in binder in shed. 

All members need to update their Garden Agreements, found in binder in shed. All those present at today’s meeting signed and dated their current agreements for the current year 2011.

Annual garden dues of $20 are now due and payable to DeAnna Dalton. All those who have not yet paid should contact DeAnna, and either mail payment to her, or make arrangements to meet with her to make payment. DeAnna’s contact info is available in the cob shed.  We currently have $1200 in the Northside Garden account.

Michelle:
Discussion of compost. Do we want to continue to use the compost delivered by the City of Berkeley? Discussion among members present was that as it is not organic compost, we do not want to continue using it. Should we use our own, purchase our own compost for the garden? If we were to purchase our own, other gardeners from Peralta ought to be limited in their use of it. 
All Northside gardeners ought to be able to use as much or as little as they pleased, however the question was raised about whether any gardeners ought to be to use compost to refill their entire plot, as it would not be equitable use for all gardeners. 

Nina:
If we want to buy the organic compost and some of our members want to replenish, gardeners can contribute to the compost 

Larry:
Suggested Local Hero brand organic compost $35. Soil amendment $25 sq yrd

Barbara:
We are tied with Peralta garden for the compost delivery from the city (Beebo), as they also use the compost, and they do not have a way for Beebo to deliver  it directly to their garden. 

Abbot:
Can we make all our own compost for the garden, as it was part of the original intent of the garden, with no need for outside purchase of compost. Cuttings and weeds could be composted, yet we are allowing the city to cart away a great deal of compostable matter in the green bins.

Several gardeners remarked that weeds in the compost bins is not a good idea, and is why we put so much of our cuttings and weeds in the green bins.

Matt:
We can’t get a large enough volume of our own compost for sufficient use for all gardeners, hence the need to supplement with outside compost.

Consensus was to talk to Peralta garden about whether or not they want to continue to receive, or to stop delivery of the city compost.

Michelle:
Suggested we make a decision regarding the compost, and possible purchase of our own, or discontinuing delivery of compost from the city, by the next garden meeting. Members present agreed.

Michael:
We ought to have a Compost Research Committee; Larry, Phyllis, Elizabeth, Michael, and Matt volunteered for this.

Elizabeth:
We have an abundance of tomato cages stacked behind the cob shed. All those who want tomato cages please take as many as you like and either place them in your plot, or take out of the garden (store at home or elsewhere) as they are difficult to store and handle in and around the shed. Whatever tomato cages remain will be recycled.
Proposed that Robin and Marty move to Deanna’s old plot; all agreed. 
How is seniority in the garden determined? To what degree does service to the garden get factored into garden seniority?

Leslie:
Service, work hours to the garden has not been a determining factor in garden seniority in the past, but it is worth considering.

Laura:
If we look at other factors, we may run into difficulties with hurt feelings or misunderstandings; it could get contentious.

Elizabeth:
Abbot is in favor of giving those who live in the neighborhood and those who contribute most time/work to the garden more consideration in determining garden seniority.

Abbot:
Karl Linn established these gardens in order to build community, as a way to invite all those in the community to know one another, and to grow the garden, and their neighborhoods together. It was Karl Linn’s vision that these gardens would only be a beginning, and that more and more people outside this neighborhood would follow the examples set by these gardens, and create their own community gardens in their neighborhoods.

Leslie:
If there is to be a new policy for garden membership admission, it needs to be created, and we need to check with the city of Berkeley to see whether that is legal.

Laura:
We should research about city requirements.

Matt or Michael (notes just said “M”):
Who will propose a change that we can discuss – done by email (will that work?)

Nina:
Has orchids to donate if anyone wants them; they will be left by the fence/garden gate, anyone is welcome to them. Whatever ones are left will be composted.

-  Meeting ended  -

2010/10/02 Northside Garden Meeting Notes

Notes presented by Leslie

Attendees:  Roz, Allen, Nina, Emma, Ardis, Barbara, Elizabeth, Michelle, Leslie, Robin, Deanna, Laura, Dan and Larry

Hosting and Community Service Issues

Lots of people are not signing up for hosting and even people who do sign up are sometimes not showing up.  In order to encourage more compliance with this requirement we are making the following changes.

  • We are reverting to the old policy of establishing the hosting commitments for the same day/time each month.
  • Sign ups will happen in March for the entire April – October season.
  • There will be a box on the hosting sheets in the shed to initial each time you host.
  • Hosting hours will be every Sunday from 10-4.  If you are unable to host during those times you can select any 2 hour slot that you prefer but you must commit to that day/time for the entire season.  The open garden hours will be posted on the front gate.
  • We decided that you can fulfill your required 8 hours of community service during your hosting time.  This should make it easier for people to fulfill both commitments.
  • If you are unable to host at your scheduled time you must either try to change with someone or host at another time that month.  You need to indicate the date/time of your new commitment on the hosting sheets.  Hours will be checked monthly and people who have not fulfilled their commitments will be contacted to determine if they want to continue their garden membership.

Meetings

Next year we will have 4 meetings.  They will alternate between Saturdays and Sundays.  The dates will be set at the first garden meeting in March.

Handicapped Compliance

Elizabeth met with Brad Ricards, Larry Wright and Paul Church  (Berkeley’s ADA person).  The city is requiring that we develop a long-range plan to incrementally bring the garden into compliance with ADA requirements.  A committee has been established to work on this issue.

It’s time to plant your winter garden!

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Leslie

2010/08/10 Northside Garden Meeting Notes

Notes presented by Leslie

In attendance:  Elizabeth, Matt, Deborah, Nina, Khin, Leslie, Barbara, Larry, William, Robin, Summi, Emma and Flavia

We discussed:

1.  Hosting:  Not everyone is signing up to host and we discussed possible reasons why this is happening.  We agreed:
• that the sign-up sheets for the hosting season (April – October) should be made available early on so people can make their plans and commitments well in advance,
• the Garden Hosting Coordinator should send out reminders to people who have not signed up to host
• One of issues for the next meeting will be to decide the hosting schedule for next year.  Do we want to keep it as it currently is or change it for next year?

2.  ADA compliance and other path related issues:
• At his last inspection, Brad (the City representative) said that we (and all the community gardens), will have to comply with ADA requirements to make the garden accessible to both visitors and gardeners with disabilities.  The Paths Committee met with Larry Wright (a landscape architect who works with the City and community groups) to agree on a plan that he will present to the City on our behalf.  Federal requirements call for concrete paths, 4 feet in width.  Everyone agrees that concrete is not appropriate for the garden so we are hoping the City agrees to allow the use of decomposed granite.   The main paths, from the entrance to the shed, to the central meeting area, to the compost bins and the porta-potty will have to be in compliance.  Garden members will be responsible for maintaining the paths.  The City will pay all costs, including the professional grading of the paths and the installation of the dg.  We don’t expect that this is going to happen any time soon but we do need to present a plan to the City
• People felt that not enough attention was being given to maintenance of the garden paths and the required 18″ clearance around each plot.  Gardeners need to be sure the area around their plots is clear of weeds and other obstructions. It was decided that the issue of potted plants would be addressed at the next meeting and a policy established regarding them.  It was mentioned that people with plots that get less sun like to have plants in pots so they can move them to sunnier spots around their plots.  Part of the problem may also be that we don’t really have a communal planting area.  If we did, that might eliminate the need people feel to have potted plants.
• There seems to be a lot of crab grass around.  Please be careful not to put this into the compost bins.  It is very hard to eliminate.

3.  Compost bins and compost issues:
• All fresh material should be added to bin #1 (on the far left as you face them).  The compost is cooking in the middle bin and the 3rd bin is reserved for the ready-to-use compost.
• Please do not put thorns, sticks, paper or seeds, especially from weeds, in the bins.  It also helps the break down to cut the material into 6″ or smaller sections.
• As many of us have suspected for some time, the compost the City delivers is not totally organic.  Please read the interesting and comprehensive article linked here, http://ecologycenter.org/terrain/issues/spring-2010/compost-confidential/    At the next meeting we are going to decide whether we want to continue to use this compost or if it would be preferable to purchase compost from a vendor.
• Elizabeth has a friend at UC Berkeley who is conducting an experiment on the Gill Tract in Albany.  They are growing tomatoes and testing a special compost tea mixture to see if it works better than chemical fertilizers.  A visit to the Gill Tract has been scheduled on  Friday, August 20th at noon. If any one wants to attend, please email Elizabeth at elzipeele@yahoo.com.
4.  Cactus Garden:  First, a huge thanks to Domingo for all the work he did there.  Very much appreciated!!!!
• It was decided to replace the cactus garden with a community flower bed.  The plants around the shed currently in pots will be transplanted to that area.  We want to build a raised bed because the soil there probably isn’t good enough to support much.  We talked about hooking the sink up in that area as well.

5.  Work Parties
• Very few people showed up at the last work party but people are doing community work on their own.  In addition to Domingo, many thanks to William and Matt and anyone else who has done work recently.  It was mentioned that scheduling work parties before meetings seem to encourage attendance.  We’ll have a work party on Saturday, October 2nd from 1-3pm, followed by a member meeting at 3pm to get ready for the harvest festival on October 3rd.  Let’s plan on working on all our paths that day.

6.  Volunteers  
• Volunteers have offered to work at our garden on Saturday, September 25 (Slow Food Day of Service event).  We decided to use this opportunity to build the raised bed next to the shed.  We will also have a slow food celebration.  We can use the solar cooker and people should bring food to share.
Volunteers have also offered to work at the garden on October 10 (City of Berkeley Climate Action Day).  A potential project for this group would be to create a communal plating area near the compost bins.

7.  Miscellaneous:

• We have $1,328 in the treasury.

That’s it.  Looking forward to seeing everyone in the garden!

Leslie

2010/06/10 Northside Garden Meeting Notes

Notes presented by Elizabeth

Present: Khin, DeAnna, Sonya, Deborah, Nina, Phyllis, Summi, Larry,
Barbara, Alan, Leslie, Michael, Robin, Shawn, Margaret, Ardis,
Michelle, Laura, Dan, Elizabeth

1) Barbara will update the sign outside the garden to include open
garden hours on the 4th Saturday of each month from 10am to 2pm.
2) Please be sure to sign up for two hours of garden hosting in June.
The sheet is attached to the blue binder in the shed.
3) We will not be requesting a load of city compost this month.
4) We will keep the combination on the locks the same.
5) Treasury update – we now have $1,377 in our treasury.
6) If we agree to have chickens in the garden, one person must take
full responsibility for them.
7) There was discussion around the amount of pots in the garden. We
agreed that we do not want any more pots placed in communal areas or
on paths.  We must have at least 18” of clearance around each plot to
meet city regulations. Please remove any obstructions and thoroughly
weed the paths around your plots.
8) Most members in attendance agreed that they do not want to have
concrete on the main paths in our garden. Elizabeth is checking to see
what the alternatives might be. Folks who volunteered to serve on the
path committee are: Ardis, Michelle, Shawn, Leslie, Dan.  Next steps –
research what other gardens use on their paths and how we can meet the
minimal requirements. Michelle is looking into policy issues. Would
you like to go on a local community garden tour to look at their
paths?  Please email elzipeele@yahoo.com and we’ll determine a good
date to do this.
9) We agreed to move forward on the re-design of Ardis’ plot to
include seating and a low retaining wall on the south side. This will
be a community work project.
10) Sonya has compiled total community service hours worked for each
member from Feb through April and posted this in the shed.
11) We now have a light weight kitchen sink which will enable us to
wash our veggies and dishes in the garden. Does anyone know how to
install the faucets on this?  We did not agree on a location for it.
Two proposed sites are along the fence between Nina and Michelle’s
plots, or in front of the shed.  Both of these areas have numerous
pots in them right now.
12) Please don’t put plastic or trash in the compost bins. The labels
from fruit are not compostable.
13) There was a request for less email from garden members.  Only
reply to the person(s) you are responding to – please don’t hit ‘reply
all’ unless it concerns everyone.
14) I have created a doodle poll to see when folks can come to the
next work party.  Please go to http://www.doodle.com/ty864qni7hx2mv24
, enter your name, and check off all the dates and times that you are
available.  I’ll tally up the responses on June 23rd, and let you know
what the best date / times are.

* Possible Work Projects (please be sure to mark your community
service hours on the chart in the shed)

1) Rework Ardis’ plot with concrete cinder blocks on one side.
2) Does anyone know how to do tile or mosaic work?  Maybe we can cover
the shed benches with tile and make them more inviting to sit on.
3) Has anyone noticed extremely low water pressure on the central
hose?  The timer may be clogged.
4) All the paths need weeding and the BART path should be weed-wacked.
5) Ivy and weed removal between the shed and fence.
6) General sidewalk maintenance.
7) The shed roof needs weeding and new succulents planted.
8) The century plants need to be removed from the cactus garden.
9) Shall we clear out the entire cactus garden (except for the
yuccas), and create a bed for flowers?
10) The sign on the front gate is falling apart. Should we have a
professional sign painter create a new one?

I hope your garden is growing well.  ~ Elizabeth