What Can Be Composted in the Northside Community Garden
In the interest of building rich compost while reducing the food available to our rodent friends…
Allowable compost items:
- 6″ or less cuttings from plots
- Vegetables and fruit scraps from home
Not allowed in compost:
- Cuttings of more that 6″ (please cut shorter than this length)
- Cooked food of any kind
- Egg shells
- Animal products, meat, or bones
- Invasive weeds, i.e. crabgrass, oxalis, raspberry (these go in the green bins)
After composting, always cover your fresh compostables with:
- At least an inch of composted dirt
- A handful or two of straw (when available).
Covering kitchen scraps with dirt makes them less available to rodents. Adding straw’s hollow stems allows oxygen into the middle of the pile; aiding the composting process while eliminating the need for frequent and laborious turning.
The Green Bin